Monday, February 17, 2014

Legend of the lunch table :)

Feb 10, 2014

Dear Family,

  Another transfer almost down, I would have to agree, time is flying by! I had an issue with the computers this week so it will be a little short this week. 

  I am so happy to hear things are going well at home! I
 wish I could see the quilts, come to water polo practice, see these friends and acquaintances you are all working with, an enormous belly, and ALL my wonderful FAMILY! But I to know that I should be here in Brazil, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't having fun. Mom and Dad I hope you have fun in Atlanta and Ty don´t have too much fun with Darren all weekend! I love and miss you all.

  In terms of the day to day life here in Brazil I seriously have fun just soaking it all in. We wake up, every morning, at six thirty and hit our knees. After we catapult into morning exercises and try to purge ourselves of the groggy feeling we tend to get as missionaries. We never rest.

  Immediately from there we prepare, teeth, breakfast, shower, etc. I usually try to be studying by 7:45 to get everything I want to study in, and still tend to come up short! Companion study follows which includes prayer, training movies for the new missionaries like myself, and mock teaching. It is a really enlightening time. And then we walk out of the house. Literally on of my very favorite parts of the day. I'm fresh, the weather is mild, and it is not an uncommon occurrence to hear a rooster crow. On the streets of Brazil, usually cobblestone and uneven, you can see anything from a Range rover, to a hand-made horse-drawn buggy. What actually surprised me however was the mixture of old world and new. We really do live in a city, yet most houses/buildings aren´t air-conditioned. Our apartment is on the second floor and it, like most of the city, has an earthy, yet modern feel at the same time. (Rua Bahia 869 Guarapuava) We have most comforts of the US yet nothing is the same. Oh, and yes, we do in fact eat rice and beans for lunch everyday, usually accompanied by pasta, some assorted flavor of tang or soda called Guarana, meat, and a vegetable. My body has adjusted to the schedule and now I eat about three full plates everyday at lunch, I´m a legend of the lunch table with the missionaries I live with now! But as missionaries, we walk the streets, sweat, and travel from place to place inviting people to accept and live the most amazing and important principles this world, or the next, has to offer. We teach messages about Christ, and His restored Gospel, His prophets, and the workings of a very living God. We help people change. I am having an adventure of a lifetime and I cant help but stop and think several times a day thoughts like, wow I am in Brazil. I see changes made in my life and the lives of others every day, testimonies of the truthfulness of our message, and really can´t get enough. I love and miss you all, but don't worry, I am doing very very well.

Love,

Elder Showalter